Saturday 19 August 2017

A Novel Look At... The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon

If someone was to tell me many years ago that one of the best books I will ever read would be about a teenager with Asperger’s Syndrome trying to find the killer of his neighbour’s dog, I would have told them that they were talking absolute nonsense. Yet here I am, having just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, feeling somewhat amazed at how well the story works and simply astounded by the adventure I have been on.
            The novel centres around fifteen year old Christopher Boone whose mind works differently to that of the normal everyday teenager. He loves maths, hates the colour yellow and has a very strict moral code. Though it is never actually stated in the book, young Christopher has Asperger’s Syndrome which means he perceives the world around him in a unique light, favouring logic and science over magic and whimsy. When he learns his neighbour’s poodle has been killed with a garden fork, Christopher decides to become a detective and find the murderer, against the wishes of his father, the police and the dog’s owner. Little does Christopher know that his detective work will uncover more than just the identity of the dog’s killer.
            Christopher is one of the most interesting characters I have come across in the world of literature. His disability hinders him in the most unique manner and his drive to overcome issues such as going further than the end of his street by himself is inspiring. Through Christopher, we see the universe in a way that most of us can’t possibly comprehend. Sure, many of us hate crowds and don’t like talking to strangers but we do it with little fuss because of how hard it is to function in everyday life without doing so. It’s almost scary to think how these acts we take for granted can cripple a person whose brain is wired a little differently.
            Despite the book not being about a funny subject matter, there are many light touches of humour spread throughout. The blank way Christopher addresses the other characters will make you laugh and the bewildered way in which characters react to his actions will put a smile on your face too. Whether endearing or not in real life, your first instinct is to laugh at how certain scenarios play out. I’m sure I wouldn’t find it funny at all if someone pulled a pen-knife on me just because I wanted to know if they were okay but in the realm of the pages, you pretty much have a pass to let out a little chuckle.
            I couldn’t help myself; I flew through this book, utterly engrossed at what I was reading. It was funny and tragic simultaneously and it opened my eyes to a condition that I had next to no knowledge about before I started the novel. I urge everyone to read this book not just for the story but as a tool for understanding how unique people can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment